Monday, February 27, 2012
Well, I finally got around to painting the first two samples for this unit, and am pleased with the results.
I decided on a yellow/tan scheme for the lizard mounts, as green is already the color of the "bad guys" Parrotmen and Lizardmen; and red I felt was a little too bold for a naturally occurring animal color. And doing a blue for the mount would make it too similar to the rider.
Once again, like the Amazon infantry I did, I raided my stock of GW decals to decorate their shields.
Tuesday, February 21, 2012
First I cut the bodies of one of the Roman cavalrymen, and one of the Amazon warriors each in half, right above their respective belts. I then glued these together. The waist of the Amazon is a bit more slender than the Roman's. In the front, I think it will be less noticeable when painted, and in the back I built up the Amazon's backside a bit with Miliput to help fill the gap.
I tested the figure on an assembled Cold One lizard mount and found that the width of the lizard caused the rider to tilt backward a little more than I liked. So, after a bit of experimentation I found that if I cut down one of the saddles included in the Roman Cavalry set, and glued it on the lizard's back, it helped hold the rider in a more upright position.
Sunday, February 19, 2012
This day we had three games. First up, Duncan Adams ran his WWI Mons scenario using Buck Surdu's "Fire Team Vietnam" rules. These rules adapted quite well to this earlier era of warfare.
Here is an overview of the table. In the foreground the Germans prepare to attack the British held city of Mons. There were only two bridges across the canal, so it appeared the Hun would have his work cut out for him.
When the British foothold finally collapsed, the Germans began rushing into the town. By this time the British defenders in the town had been so shot up by heavy German rifle fire, combined with shelling from a German field piece, that they were not able to fend off the assault. In the end it the game was determined a narrow British victory as the Germans did not have undisputed control of the bridge. A few more turns and this probably would have changed.
The second game was Tank Nickle's Gettysburg East Cavalry Field battle using modified "A Union So Tested" Rules.
In the foreground, J.E.B. Stuart's cavalry prepares to assault the Union position.
Meanwhile, the rest of the Southern riders try to head on a flanking maneuver around the right of the Union position.
The final game of the day, was Dave Wood's Fantasy Battle by GASLIGHT game. This game pitted an alliance of 'Good' forces against an amalgamation of 'Evil' troops. The goal of the game was control of a nearby port currently in the hands of the side of "Evil"
An array of reptile mounted troopers made up the weight of the "Evil" center.
On the "Good" left, a force of Dwarves and Halflings tries to fend off hordes of Imps and their Demon masters.
A view of the battlefield from behind the "Evil" lines. In the end, the left wing of the "Evil" forces had all but collapsed, allowing the side of "Good" to capture the port and be declared the victor.
Sunday, February 12, 2012
Coming up in the next weeks or so: the Amazon Archers, and a unit of Tharks (four-armed green Martians)
Thanks for your continued support.
Monday, February 6, 2012
The battle pitted a French Corps against a mixed force of British and Spanish, with the goal of capturing several river crossings as well as other key terrain features on the table. There were six victory points represented by flags positioned on the battlefield. The flags were changed out to show who was currently in control of that terrain piece. A seventh victory point was awarded to which ever side inflicted the greater casualty count on their opponent.
The battle seesawed back and forth in dramatic fashion as both sides fought for control of the river. In the end both sides each held three of the victory terrain features, and the battle was decided in favor of the French who had a inflicted a narrow superior margin of casualties
against the British.
Duncan Adams moves his French forces on the right forward to hold back the bulk of the British.
A unit of French Cavalry tries to force it's way across the river into the teeth of several battalions of Spanish, as a brigade of British Light Cavalry moves forward through the woods.
Wednesday, February 1, 2012
The original Eureka release only had seven figures in it, and I wanted a GASLIGHT sized unit of ten, so I set about finding three more figures. The first was an old metal French standard bearer that I had picked up at a flea market and whose bandaged head, I felt, marked him as a good zombie candidate. The other two I made from a couple Victrix plastic French Infantry bodies and arms, and some bits left over from a pack of Wargames Factory Zombies.
On the left is one of the Victrix conversions, in the center is the Eureka Napoleon Blownaparte complete with cannonball hole in him, and on the right is another one of the great figures from the Eureka set, which is actually a vignette cast as a single piece depicting a zombie biting a French soldier in the head. Brains!
The figures assembled quickly and easily. I gave them some swords from a couple freebie sprues of Wargames Factory ancients I had got at a convention. I primed them black, and decided to paint the skin tone light blue to give them a more alien look.
I also have a unit of archers which I will be painting next.
The flag is a photo of an Andorian cos-player that I used an 'oil painting' filter on in a graphics program to try and give it the look of a tapestry type flag. I then applied gold lettering and a gold border around the edge. It is meant to look like the banner of a queen or priestess.