Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Giant Ruined Statue for Frostgrave

   A while ago, a friend was trying to get rid of several old large figure kits made by Grenadier, called "Colossal Lords".  I took a couple to mess around with, and recently I was inspired to turn one of them into a giant ruined statue for Frostgrave.    The figure I selected for this project was the "Paladin" .
     I wanted to give him a half buried look, so I decided not to use the legs; which were conveniently supplied as two separate pieces.  I glued his upper torso to a plastic base using 5-minute epoxy, and glued the base to an old CD that I had cut down.  After the glue on the torso was dry, I fitted the arms, cutting down the fingers of the left, and the sword of the right, so they would sit level with the surface of the CD.  I then glued them into place using the 5-minute epoxy.    When that glue was dry, I used some Milliput two-part epoxy putty to build up the small gaps where the tops of his legs would have been, and to create a slope around the black base I had used.
   Next, I sprayed the whole thing with white primer.
    When the primer was dry, I painted the statue with a nice verdigris green, and then drybrushed it with bronze.  Next, I gave the entire a thing a wash with a mix of black and brown washes.
      Lastly,  I applied snow to the base, and gave it a coat of spray varnish.  And, to finish it off, I glued a Water Effects icicle dripping from his helmet.

I'm really pleased with how the statue came out.  I think it will look really cool on the table.

14 comments:

  1. That's really impressive. Could you let me know the name of the verdigris colour paint you used, it's excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd be happy to tell you, but I don't know how much help it will be. I used a mix of Folk Art "Celadon Green" (which I think is OOP), and Crafter's Acrylic "Dark Turquoise".

      Delete
  2. No worries, I'll just mix up some paint and see how it goes. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good,if you try to match the color in the fourth picture. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. Nice piece.The washes not only did an amazing job of muting the initial color but really giving some definition to the details. Very convincing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree that the washes are what really bring it to life!

      Delete
  4. Good job! Really inspiring, now I have to find a suitable toy to modify.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, a plastic toy would be a good idea; you cant believe how heavy that big hunk of lead is! :)

      Delete
  5. Makes me think this would be a great use for old, broken toys and action figures, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Did you see the two I made a little while ago with Dollar store toys: http://onemoregamingproject.blogspot.com/2016/01/a-pair-of-quick-and-easy-dollar-tree.html

      Delete