Monday, August 21, 2017

Three Wise Monkeys Idol Jungle Terrain Piece (Ghost Archipelago)

     My mom used to collect these old dime-store souvenir figurines of the the classic three wise monkeys from the Japanese fable. (See-No-Evil, Speak-No-Evil, and Hear-No Evil) .  She had them in metal, china, stone, wood; and in every size.  When she passed several years ago, I kept this one carved wood one because in the back of mind I always thought it would make a great primitive statue terrain piece.  Now, recently, with the impending release of the Ghost Archipelago rules; I finally had the impetus to set about making that idea happen.
    The first thing I did was find a suitable large plastic base for the terrain piece.  The base had sharp right-angle edges, so I took a hobby knife and roughly cut the angle down so they were more sloped in appearance.  I then hot glued the statue to the plastic base.
     Next, I glued some small gravel and coarse sand around the base of the figurine.   Then, when that was dry, I sprayed the whole thing with flat black primer.  After that, it was just a mater of drybrushing everything with some grey tones.  I also decided I wanted a little dirt showing, so I glued some more coarse sand to the base, painted it dark brown, and then drybrushed that a series of lighter browns.
     Lastly,  I glued on a whole bunch of various types of vegetation to make it look all jungle-y!
Shown with a Reaper 28mm figure for scale.

      I'm pleased with how it turned out.  And what's best is that I now have a piece of terrain that will make me think of my mom when ever I use it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment