Monday, April 3, 2017

A Pair of Quick and Easy Homer Simpson Idols, Just for Fun

    Recently I saw a thread where someone made a fun little terrain piece that was an idol made from a Homer Simpson figure.  Then, the other day when I was in my local Dollar Tree store, I saw these Homer figures, and thought they might be good fodder for some Homer Idols of my own.

     The figures easily popped off their bases.  I then cut some simple rock pedestals out of some scrap insulation foam.  Next, I glued the pedestals to some round MDF bases, and then glued the Homer figures to the top of the pedestals.  I sprinkled a little sand around the bottom of the pedestals where the glue oozed out.
     When the glue was dry, I sprayed the pieces with some Krylon with Fusion Camouflage Ultra-Flat Black.  When the black undercoat was dry, I sprayed the pieces with a faux stone-textured spray paint.
   When the stone texture was dry, I repainted the pieces black again.
   I then gave them an initial grey drybrushing.
  I let the initial drybrushing dry, and then gave the lefthand one (which I plan for use in warm weather/jungle setting) some staining with a little green ink and some Agrax Earthshade wash.  I gave the one on the right (which I plan to use for Frostgrave) a little wash with a little blue ink.
   When the inks were dry, I gave each idol a final light grey drybrushing.   I then added some foliage to the greenish one.   I let them sit overnight, and then the next day gave them a spray varnish protective coat.

     I'm happy with how these turned out; not great masterpieces, but just right for a quick fun project. They will be fun to put on the table and see who notices. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment