Friday, April 28, 2017

Quick and Easy Cardboard Game Piece Frame Sci-Fi Building Ruins.

   So, a while back I saw someone's blog entry where they made some neat Sci-Fi ruins out of the cardboard frames that are left over after you punch game counters out of them; and ever since I've been looking for an opportunity to try it.  Then, I was with a friend a while back who was punching out the counters for his newly purchased copy of the Congo ruleset, and I asked if I could have the remaining cardboard frame left after all the counters were punched out.
     I first cut the frames into sections to look like partially destroyed walls, and glued them on to 6" x 6" cork tiles.  I made one 6" x 12" base by gluing two of the cork tiles together, in order to make one larger building.  I then added a few odds and ends to the walls using some dollar store lego and other plastic bits.

 I first gave them a base coat of some old Army Painter "Necrotic Flesh" I had on hand.
     When that was dry, I gave the ruins some burst sprays of some Krylon "Aqua" Sea Glass paint I had been wanting to try out.  I think it gave an interesting "alien" effect.
     I then painted the slabs with Americana "Terra Cotta".   I think it adds to the alien look.
    I added some other colors here and there to the detail bits I glued on earlier.  Then I slathered the ruins in some Citadel "Nuln Oil" wash, using a wet brush.  When that was dry, I drybrushed them with Americans "Bleached Sand".   Lastly, I sprayed them with some matte varnish.
Shown with some Reaper 28mm Sci-Fi figures for scale.


     I'm really happy with how these turned out.  They are't too complicated or detailed, but I think they'll look good on the table.   I especially like that they're made from what would have been trash. :)

4 comments:

  1. That's very clever! I have some card I was going to throw away, but now I may hoard it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!

    Oh, when I think of all the punched-out cardboard I've thrown away... Well, one more thing to hoard. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marc! I don't even want to think about the great pieces I tossed before I learned about this technique! The older I get, the less I want to throw away, :)

      Delete