Thursday, May 19, 2016

10mm Sci-Fi Wrecked Battle Mech Terrain Build

     This past week I completed a new terrain piece for my ongoing 10mm Sci-Fi project.   I have a bunch of leftover Mechs from the clicky Mechwarrior game, and I got it in my head to construct a destroyed one  that was all rusted out; like it had stood for decades or centuries in the same spot where it had been knocked out.

   I began by slicing the mech from its clicky base, and then I used a pair of pliers to rip the arms and head off.  I then used a drill to make a big hole in the torso to look like where a missile had hit, knocking out the mech.  I also used the drill to enlarge some of the  holes where the arms and head had been connected.  I used my hobby knife to pry open the cockpit, and then cut down a 10mm Warmaster skeleton figure and glued it into the cockpit to represent the mech's  long-deceased pilot.
      Next,  I cut some small sections of thin wire and glued them in the holes with superglue to look like cables that had been ripped apart when the mech was destroyed.  I glued the parts with hot glue to a 3-inch plastic base that I had beveled the edge of with a hobby knife; and then covered the base with Tacky glue and applied a coating of sand.

      My next step was to spray the piece with flat black paint
   I then began applying some splotchy brown paint to achieve the rusted look.
     I finished painting the piece, and then applied some static grass here and there to the base.  Afterwards, I sprayed the whole thing with Testor's Dullcote varnish.
     I'm very please with how it turned out.  I think it will make a nice little vignette to decorate a battlefield, and perhaps provide some rough terrain and cover for units in play.
Shown here with 10mm Dropzone Commander Scourge infantry and a tank.






It's funny, as I was making this, the famous poem, Ozymandias, came to mind:

Ozymandias
     by Shelley 
I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

4 comments:

  1. Very nice. I've recycled quite a few Clix Mechs myself. They work well for 15mm and 28mm (as simply big robots) as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, Chris. The skeleton was a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, J! I was particularly proud of coming up with that idea. :)

      Delete