Monday, January 29, 2018

Some Ghost Archipelago Spell Effects

    As I posted earlier, a couple weekends ago, I helped run a pair of Ghost Archipelago games at our club's regional miniatures gaming con.   Before the games though, I had to build some of the spell effects for the Wardens I planned to use  in the game.  Specifically, some Earthen Walls and Pits for an Earth Warden, and some Pools for the off-school spell of a Storm Warden.
     I began by making the pits, since they seemed like they would be the easiest.   I began with some 1.5" fender washers, first gluing a bit of paper over the hole in the center.  I then used some greenstuff to build up a rim around the outer edge.  When the greenstuff was dry, I sprayed the pits black, and then painted them with shades of brown, leaving a bit of black in the center to give the illusion of depth.

     For the Earthen Walls, I cut the basic 3"x2"x1" shape from some scrap pink insulation foam, and carved it to give it a rough appearance as a pile of dirt might have.   I then glued it to a 3"x1.5" steel base.    When the glue was dry, I painted the walls with a paint and sand mixture to give it some texture, and then sprayed the walls with some Flat Dark Brown camo spray paint.   When dry, I drybrushed some lighter browns over the surface.
  When they were dry, I flocked the bases, and added some bits of flock and static grass here and there on the walls. 

     
     For the Pool spell, I took some CDs, and cut them down a little to give them an uneven outline.  I then cut some 3" circles from some heavy paper.
          Next, I glued the heavy paper to the CDs, and then ran a ring of thick Tacky glue around the outer edge of the circle to make an edge for the pool
     When everything was dry, I sprayed-primed  them black.
     When the spary was dry, I painted the pools to look like deepening water.
     When the paint was dry, I flocked the bases; and when the flock was dry, I covered the pools with a layer of Woodland Scenics "Water Effects".
     When the "Water Effects" dried it gave the nice illusion of water in the pools. 

       I'm really happy with how these turned out, and they really helped add to the look of our convention games!  

   

5 comments: